The local ZTA Shreveport alumnae chapter was originally started by ZTAs who graduated from Centenary College, and our chapter now includes members from many different states who now live in Shreveport-Bossier and surrounding areas.
The alumnae have supported three collegiate chapters. Eta Omega at LSU-S (1975-2009) and Zeta Kappa at LA Tech (1967-1981) are no longer active chapters.
Beta Iota at Centenary College (1927) was the first Zeta Tau Alpha chapter in Shreveport, and its history is part of ZTA's local presence.
On October 22, 1922, a group of young women began a sorority under the name Kappa Pi, and adopted a coat of arms. From the very beginning, these women wanted their organization to stand for a worthwhile mission and high ideals. They immediately decided to have their own home, and soon a house was built. Dr. George S. Sexton, Centenary's President at the time, was very influential in helping the women build their home.
Soon, the ladies of Kappa Pi decided that they wanted to become a national sorority. They focused their attention on Zeta Tau Alpha, petitioned to join, and sent a scrapbook to the National Office. In 1926, the National Inspector was sent to inspect Kappa Pi, and on January 27, 1927, a charter was granted to the ladies at Centenary College.
On May 3, 1927, the pledging ceremonies began to initiate the charter members of the Beta Iota chapter into the fraternity. On May 6, 1927, the Beta Iota chapter was installed, and the ladies of Kappa Pi were initiated. This made Zeta Tau Alpha the first national women's fraternity to enter Centenary!
The Shreveport branch of LSU opened its doors as a junior college in 1967, but received four-year university status in 1972. In March 1974, ZTA was asked to make one of six national sorority presentations to a local sorority on the LSU-S campus. A group of women, called the Crown Club, organized and sought university recognition. During the summer of 1974, the local alumnae hosted Coca-Cola parties for women who would attend LSU-S in the fall, and the Crown Club boasted 15 members by August, including four Zeta daughters.
On August 26, 1974, petitions to both the University and to Zeta Tau Alpha were signed, making the Eta Omega Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, formerly known as the Crown Club, the second NPC group on campus. After second-semester recruitment, Installation began on February 28, 1975, at the Beta Iota Chapter Lodge at Centenary College. Members of Beta Iota and Zeta Delta Chapters served on the Initiation team. National President Nelly Galloway Shearer conducted the Installation, and Eta Omega officially became the 168th link in ZTA's Chain of Chapters.